Clerks

There is no doubt that the office of the Clerk is of very ancient creation, although the first mention of one only occurs in the Charter of James 1 in 1605. As it is likely there were registers to be kept, apprentices to bind, quarterages to collect, and many other matters relating to the working of the Guild, to receive attention, it is more than probable the office existed from the very earliest conception of the Company.

The Clerk's Badge - Presented on St Paul's Day 1954 by Harold Dix Esq - Master 1953

Clerks 1606 To 1890

1605 – Richard Colson

1686 – John Bell

1701 – 1711 John Bushnell

1712 – Joseph Knapp

1713 – 1721 D Williams

1722 – 1756 John Harwood

1756 – 1769 Charles Lesure

1769 – 1774 William Poell

1774 – 1812 William Brent

1812 – 1838 Charles Martin

1839 – 1861 Nathaniel Martin

1861 – 1890 Octavius Chapman Tryon Eagleton

Clerks 1890 To Present

1890 – 1931 John Eagleton

1933 – 1948 Guy Tryon Eagleton

1948 – 1960 Donald James Methven

1960 – 1967 J Jeremy Moreton

1967 – 1980 David Leslie Hohnen

1980 – 1981 Roger A Hutchinson

1981 – 1985 John Charles Airey

1985 – Pauline Halliday OBE

1986 – 1988 Brigadier Ronald Eccles DSO

1989 – 1996 Commander Michael Tom Harold Styles RN

1996 – 2015 Lieutenant Colonel Lionel G French

2015 – Present Lieutenant Colonel Philip Brown