- Honorary Assistants’ Dinner – HQS Wellington – Thursday 13th April 2017
- Lord Mayor’s Big Curry Lunch – Guildhall – Thursday 6th April 2017
- United Guilds Service – St Paul’s Cathedral, Friday 31st March 2017
- Fresh Produce Journal – March 2017
- The Fruiterers’ Conference Thursday 16th March – 1 Great George St
Our annual planting of a tree at the HHA/Christies’ Garden of the Year was earlier this year as Caerhays Castle was about to close to allow preparations for the shooting season to start, it was thought prudent not to put Fruiterers in front of the guns!
After our welcome we gathered for the tree planting by our Master
We then adjourned for a splendid lunch in the Castle Dining Room, some of us even enjoyed some Hook Norton beer (the Brewery is owned by Mrs Williams’ family)!
We were then given an extensive tour of the gardens by Mr Williams and his 5 dogs (+2 Fruiterers’ dogs)!
To quote from Caerhays Castle’s own website (http://www.caerhays.co.uk/): “The gardens originated from the work of plant hunters in China at the start of the 20th century. Caerhays bred the very first x williamsii camellias and is today the home of a Plant Heritage National Collection of Magnolias containing over 600 species and named hybrids from around the world.”
Thus ended our fascinating visit and our thanks are due to the Williams Family and their staff for their warm welcome and extensive hospitality during a very busy time of the year for them.